The first week

Simply Static has been available for a little over a week now. It’s sitting at 164 downloads and 30+ active installs. I have no idea if those numbers are good. What’s an ideal ratio of downloads to active installs? You don’t want everyone who downloads your plugin to turn around and uninstall it. But I’m sure some amount of tire-kicking is normal.

Downloads chart as of 2015-10-02

The day after I posted my plugin a friendly gentleman sent me my first bug report. He had installed the plugin on a few sites and some of the files (fonts and images and such) weren’t copying over. He was able to work around the issue by manually copying over the missing files. But that’s a suboptimal experience, and I doubted that he was the only person with the issue.

So I decided to do some research of my own. I tried out my plugin out on some WordPress sites I’d previously built to see if I could recreate the bug. Turns out I could! My plugin was failing at it’s core mission: creating static copies of websites.

So now I’m working on a new method of identifying links and files that need static copies. The current version looks for anything with the full URL in it (www.example.com/images/shiny.gif) and ignores relative URLs (/images/shiny.gif). The new version will go through all elements in the HTML DOM and extract the URLs from attributes. And I’ll do something similar for URLs in style blocks/attributes and stylesheets. Look for that to release in the next couple of weeks.

P.S. Speaking of releases and bugs, Simply Static is on github now. If you use the plugin and find a bug, kindly report it there. Or email it to me. I like mail.